Thursday, December 8, 2011

Team Member Profile: Nicole Robson

Hometown: Hollywood, FL
Favorite Verse: Psalm 27
Hobbies: yard work, movies & walking
Favorite Dessert: tiramisu
Pets: a kitty named Misu, who is part Maine Coon
Spiritual Strengths: building relationships, organization

As I think about the Brazil 2012 trip, I find myself encountering many different emotions. This is my 1st mission trip and really, only my 2nd time out of the country (if you don't count a handful of trips to Canada and Mexico!). This past year, I've tried to immerse myself in the church and have been working on deepening my relationship with Jesus Christ and really felt that it was time to step out of my comfort zone and do a trip. It was funny the way it happened (God works in mysterious ways, doesn't he?)--I had sort of focused my energy on another trip later in the year to South Africa and out of the blue got a call from one of the Brazil trip leaders letting me know that a spot had opened up and would I be interested in joining the team. As she and I spoke, I really felt God whispering in my heart letting me know that this was the trip he wanted me on. As I said, there are so many emotions that one feels when thinking about an undertaking like this...some things kind of silly, and some things not so much, such as, 1. how will I come up with the money required to make this possible? 2. am I ready to travel to another country with 9 people I barely know?, 3. what do I pack for the Brazilian rainforest? But perhaps the most important question and/or thought of all is, 4. how does God want to work through me in Brazil and will I be up to the challenge? This I have been praying on every night. I pray that he will allow me to be a blessing to not only my team, but to the people of Brazil. I pray that he is preparing all the hearts of those who are involved in this trip. I pray for financial support...I pray for strength (because I know I can sometimes have wimpy tendencies and really don't want to be a burden to anybody)...I pray that he will allow me to step outside of myself and all my day to day worries, etc. and really be humble and open to the many blessings that are sure to come out of this trip. The blessings I have already experienced have taken my breath away: getting a support check in the mail from someone completely unexpected, discussing the trip particulars with friends and family who are so intrigued/excited about it, becoming more involved with the church and making friends with the people on my team to name a few.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Nicole! Just know that all those concerns are ones we all had our first time! You will be forever changed for the better & God will stretch & use you in ways you can't imagine! You will be uncomfortable at times without the luxuries we enjoy on a daily basis, but it is truly nothing compared to the blessings you will receive! And since you're a chick, you don't have to get out of the boat & pull if we get stuck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Glenn! And thank God I don't have to pull the boat!;)

    ReplyDelete