Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Team Member Profile: Laura Ashley


Hometown: Carmel, NY
Favorite Verse: Psalm 119:105
Hobbies: baking, volunteering, traveling, sports, reading, and spending time with family & friends
Favorite Dessert: frozen yogurt
Pets: Charlie Knapp, our 2 year old Chiweenie (part Chihuahua and part Dachshund)
Spiritual Strengths: energetic, teamwork, organization, helping others, positive attitude, empathetic

Over the past year, I have contemplated participating in a missions trip through my church, Seacoast. I joined Seacoast when I moved to Charleston, just over two years ago and immediately joined the volunteer team at Kidscoast (K-2nd grade). While researching different missions trips, something about the Brazil trip resonated with me and I decided to go for it! I know that God has something special in mind for this trip and I can’t wait to see how he will use me and my talents to benefit the mission efforts.
At first, I did have some concerns about leaving my husband, my work, and the country for an extended amount of time. The more I thought about it, any concern that I had was really just an excuse. I felt confident that somehow I would make this work; come up with the money, take the time off of work, and let myself come out of my ‘comfort zone’ to take part in something amazing. I am truly blessed that my employer allows for me to have the time off and is supportive to associates who are looking for unique opportunities such as this. My husband and family have also been totally supportive of the trip (I plan to get him a recordable hallmark book for while I am away hehe). I am grateful for all the amazing people I have in my life and for all the blessings I have already experienced.
While preparing for this missions opportunity, I have been overwhelmed with a sense that something great is going to happen in and through me. Leading up to the trip, I will be praying for good health, financial support, a positive outlook, as well as a closer relationship to God. This will be my first global mission trip experience and my first time to Brazil. I am excited for this experience! I believe the best way to receive is to give and that everyone should serve where they can. I know this trip will change my life and I anticipate being stretched to the limit both mentally and physically.

1 comment:

  1. you are beautiful inside and out and I am so very proud to be your friend! xo

    ReplyDelete